|St John of Damascus|
The word "apologetics" is used eight times in the New Testament. The verse most commonly associated with apologetics:
" ... but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make defence [apologia] to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" (I Peter 3:15)
In Orthodox theology, term Apologetics is used in regards to defending the true faith against atheists and various other beliefs and sects. This defense, however, is done in a manner that is loving and in order to bear good fruits and should not be polemical or obsessive in manner, which in many cases is considered detrimental to the Apostolic Faith.
The earliest apologists were the Church Fathers. A classic work is “An Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith” by St John Damascene – full text is available here http://www.orthodox.net/fathers/exactidx.html
It has been written in VIII century AD, and could be somewhat difficult to read today.
“Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy“ book by Fr Andrew Damick's - it starts with Orthodox Doctrine (in easy to understand modern language) and then compares other faiths given as to why they they do not agree with the Orthodox Faith.
Available for purchase in paper and electronic forms: http://store.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxy-and-heterodoxy/
Also available as podcast for listening:
There is a number of online resources as well:
- Orthodox Apologetic Theology http://www.passaicrussianchurch.com/books/english/apologetics.htm
- Apologetics on Orthodox Wiki - http://orthodoxwiki.org/Apologetics
- In defence of Orthodox Faith - Father Alexander (Bishop Mileant) http://www.fatheralexander.org/page22.htm
- OODE- ORTHODOX OUTLET FOR DOGMATIC ENQUIRIES - http://www.oodegr.co/english/
- http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/ Look at "Western Christianity" section
- Podcast “Our Life in Christ” on Ancient Faith Radio - http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/ourlife
|Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy book|